Wednesday, May 09, 2007

I've suffered a terrible loss.

On Sunday night at 6:30 PM my stepfather Warner was killed in an automobile accident. The last 3 days have been the most difficult days of my life. He was a very important part of my life and I've always considered him to be not only my stepdad but truly one of my best friends. He supported me in every part of my life, from attending my sporting events to encouraging my pursuit of the comic book dream. Whenever I needed him Warner was there. And right now I'm having a difficult time coming to terms with the fact that I'll never get to see him again. I love and miss him so much, and I don't think I've ever cried so much in my life. My tear ducts are sore and swollen. But I've done my best to be strong for the family, especially my Mom, and I've handled all the most difficult things myself (going to the medical examiner's office, setting up the funeral) so no one else would have to. I've had to identify him, I've been to the scene of the accident (although not intentionally) and now I need to talk about it. But it's hard so I'll just type what I can.

Dad was a truly great person. And that's not me just saying that. He has so many friends and relatives and even people who hardly knew him who are all in a state of shock and morning. He touched so many people's lives, and due to this I've had to make sure that the funeral home can accommodate at least 200 people. He was liked and loved by most everyone who ever met him, and the outpour of support has been overwhelming. He will truly be missed by everyone and anyone who ever had a chance to know him. I have so much more to say but will have to say it later.

All I ask of anyone who reads this is this; say a prayer for my mother. She's the most affected by this tragic event and needs all the support and help she can get. She has nothing but her friends and family now so any sort of support you can get her would be definitely appreciated.

I must now go and cry some more. I really miss my dad :(

2 comments:

Vilota said...

My heart goes out to you and your mom during this hard time. I am truly sorry for your loss. :(

Richard "Virge" Barkman said...

Thank you Vilota. I truly appreciate your support.