Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Thank you Kingdom Come.

I sat down tonight and read Mark Waid and Alex Ross' Kingdom Come. I needed inspiration. From what I've been told Kingdom Come is an epic story that's a must-read for any and every comic fan. Until now I never bothered to take the time. I blamed not reading on "not liking Alex Ross" or "not having great character knowledge of the DC universe". Really quite lame excuses. But for some reason tonight, after having an interesting conversation with Kevin about "epic comics" and wanting to create something truly epic ourselves, I decide to read a piece of comic history that's described as being just that. So I read it. I absorbed it. And I feel I truly experienced something.....for lack of a better term: profound. Kindom Come truly is epic. It's an amazing accomplishment and a perfect example of what it is that truly makes comics worth doing. It's amazing.

I needed inspiration and I found it. Because of what I read I've been able to get more accomplished in a couple of hours then I've been able to do in a couple of weeks. I feel good about drawing and writing. I'm convinced now that I'll be able to finish what needs to get done. Because a story about never giving up has made me feel this way. A comic book story made me feel this way. Wow.

I know if read Kingdom Come a few years ago it wouldn't have meant as much. Maybe there was I reason I waited so long. But I'm glad I did. This is the most excited about comics I've been, well, quite possibly ever. The lenghts and strides that Waid and Ross were willing to go to bring this story to life is present in each and every panel and in each and every conversation. They created a story of epic proportions that I truly believe was meant to be inspiring for people like me who need that lift every now and then. I needed a boost. I really wanted to like what I've convinced myself is what I was meant to do. I'm here to create. My purpose is to develope and produce fantastic stories for others to enjoy as much as I do. I know this. But I needed to be reminded of it. I can do this. All I needed was to be inspired again.

So now I'm off to do a little more creating before I sleep. Tommorow I'll do more. And the next day and the day after that. I have fantastic ideas blazing through my head that I want to share with the world. Whenever I bounce the ideas off of Kevin I think we both get that giddy feeling inside that tells us that we're close. We're really close to breaking through. And when we do, look out folks! It can be done!

Thank you Mark Waid and thank you Alex Ross. Your story may well have saved this comic lover. I hope one day to create in a way that you've both done. And someday it will be an epic story that I helped create that will inspire someone. Somebody who just like me, needed to be reminded. Someone who needed that feeling once again.

No comments: