Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The joys of bying new DVD's!

Today I decided to treat myself. My friends and I usually try and hit the big "box store" style electronic stores on Tuesdays to see what's new in the DVD, CD, and gaming departments. I tend to look for movies and cartoons while the others look for DVD box sets and T.V. shows new to DVD. Today we were searching for a couple of things: Dwight was looking for Justice League Unlimited season 1, Batman Beyond season 2, and a gem of a movie called Slither. Kevin was looking for much of the same as well as Scrubs season 4 and any other T.V. shows with seasons that peaked his interest. I was really only looking for NACHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Libre! But I won't turn down a deal if I find one. And today I did.

Around this time every year I keep my eyes peeled for any specials that come up in the "Horror" sections of the many stores we travel to. I'm a bit of a horror film fan and like to add to my small collection of horror goodies when I can. As luck would have it I was able to find 2 movies in particular that were priced well ($9.99!) and that I've wanted to either see or own for awhile. The first movie, Clive Barker's HELLRAISER, is a classic that I haven't seen in many years and is a movie I can remember at the time of it's release was considered incredibly gory as well as "dark and twisted". And although I didn't watch it tonight, I'm looking quite forward seeing it before the end of the week.

The other movie I purchased was SAW II. I was fortunate enough to get an advance screening to the first SAW movie, and although I missed portions of the movie due to the non-stop screaming for the annoying prissy little girls sitting at the front of the theater, I did enjoy what I watched. And although the critics were mixed on the sequel, I was willing to pick up. The way I look at it the third movie is out this weekend and I'd really like to see it. I'd have to pay between 3-5 bucks to rent #2, or for $9.99 I can own it. If I don't like it I'm only out a couple of bucks and it can sit in my collection, and if I do then it's worth the price I payed. So really it's not much of a gamble. And because I tend to teeter on the crazy side of things I did in fact decide to watch SAW II tonight right after I watched NACHOOOOOOOOOOOO Libre! Did I mention I have to work in 6 hours? Ah, what's sleep anyways.

So after reading this drabble up to now (provided you made it this far) you're probably wondering what I thought of SAW II. Well? I liked it. I liked it very, VERY much. In fact, I think it's one of the most intelligent and enjoyable horror shows I've watched in a long time. The makers of this franchise have certainly stumbled onto a winning formula with Jigsaw and company and their puzzles. Ask anyone who knows me, I love a movie that offers me a puzzle to solve while I watch. And girls crying on film.........but that's another topic for a different day :P

Anyways, I also liked the characters used in this film, and enjoyed the acting alot more than I did in the first movie. Donny Walhberg plays a cop well and he does a great job here as Detective Eric Mathews. He's the main character by all rights, but is also closely tied into everything that Jigsaw has put into motion. Makes him a love em' or hate em' sort of guy. And of cousre there's Jigsaw. It was cool to get a glimpse into Jigsaw/John Kramer's psyche. He truly believes he's doing the right thing, and as any true puppet master he throws out clues left and right, you just have to be listening. The casting for the puzzle players was good, and offered a decent range of characters, from people you wanted to see make it out to those you were actually looking forward to seeing meet a gruesome end. All in all I thought it was a great movie, nuff said. And since SAW III is out in 3 days I figure the timing for seeing SAW II is pretty good. I'm recomending it so check it out if you get a chance.

Now what was that you were asking about NACHOOOOOOOOOOOOO Libre? Well, that's a post for a different time. As in not now. I'm still processing the sheer majesty of this soon-to-be classic, so check back in a few days.

It's all part of the game >:D And with that, I'm going to bed.

2 comments:

cooltopten said...

hi,
I,M a horror fan too .have you seen any korean & japenese horor :- tale of two sisters , grudge , ring, oldboy.
they will scare the pants off ya.

Richard "Virge" Barkman said...

I haven't seen much of the Japanese horror that's out there. I definately liked the japanese version of the Grudge alot better than the remake, and I've heard alot of good things about Two Sisters and Oldboy. I'll be checking out more Japanese horror in the near future.