Sunday, November 19, 2006

Damn I'm sore!

Over the past couple of weekends I've been working on tearing up all the flooring in the upper level of my new place. For those who don't know, the building that Kev, Dwight and I live in has been sold to a bunch of money-hungry bastards who think it's cool to come in and raise everyone's rent drastically. So we're all moving on and getting the fack out of here.

Good friends of Dwight and I own both sides of a duplex and have offered what used to be the Daycare side to us. It needs some reno work, but nothing that we can't handle. So even though we're not moving in until February, all of us involved felt that it would be beneficial to get everything done now. Which is a good thing, since we found out last week that the hardwood floor guys could only make it on the 23rd of this month. If not, we would have to wait until the end of February. So it's been a mad rush to pull up all the old flooring so that these guys can refinish the existing hardwood under everything. That's meant alot of pounding away with hammers and crowbars to pull up 2 layers of tile on top of 1/4 inch substrate, which is in turn on top of another layer of tile, which is covering the hardwood we are trying to get to. Did I loose you yet? And once we finished gettting all of the top layer stuff of, we then had to pull 10's of thousands of staples that were sticking out of the floor everywhere, just so we could begin to scrape off that last layer of tile.

And now my body is officially broken :P

Actually, it's not feeling as bad this weekend as it did last weekend. I spent some time in Karate yesterday morning helping train the people going to Vancouver for the Vancouver Cup in fighting, so I was a little more limber for doing yesterday's work. But I'm still sore. My legs, knees, shoulders, forearms and back are all feeling it today. Flooring is a fantastic workout for those looking to shed a few pounds. I'm telling you, it's a total body workout!

But in the end it's all well worth it because we get a new floor in our new place! I'm excited about how everything will look when it's done. Our friends Pete and Lorna are also going to paint the place and have a new tub, sink and counter going into the bathroom. It will be very nice!

So the next thing we have to concentrate on is the move, followed by the house warming party of the century!!!! Stay tuned for more.

2 comments:

Lalena said...

Hey Rich, I got your email ages ago and I haven't forgotten. Things here are crazy. School is crazy, I got in a crazy car accident (I'm ok), and well... school is crazy. I'm finishing up soon though. Anyways, thought I'd say hi and let you know I'm still thinking of you. Will touch base with you in the next few days.

Richard "Virge" Barkman said...

It's great to hear from you Lal! I miss you :(
I'm glad to hear you're okay and hope to hear more from you soon. I'm going to Karaoke on Saturday with the McDowell's and friends and will sing many 80's songs in your honor :P