Tuesday, June 19, 2007

I passed my test!

I'm now a 4th Kyu in Kyokushin Karate after receiving my new belt tonight! For those of you who don't know, that's a green belt in my style. Next up is brown, followed by black, but I'm still another year away from one and 3 from the other. Slowly but surely though I'll make it. I'm very happy right now. I think I tested the best I've ever tested for a belt this time around. The only thing I've been told needs work is my weight, which I've been working on for quite awhile and I'm not far off now where I want to be. And it's not that I'm fat or anything, it's just that I'm carrying around a few more pounds then I need to and it does slow me down a bit. But by the end of summer I'm sure I'll be where I want to be. I'm focused and determined to shed the extra pounds and to make Sensei happy in the process. A small group of us will be training throughout the summer, working on cardio, self-defense, and flexibility. I'm also looking at fighting at a couple of tournaments in the fall, one in Cranbrook in November and the other in Vancouver in December. So I want to be in good fighting shape and the summer training will help me achieve that. I'm looking forward to the hard training and all the results that will come from it. And in the fall, I'm going to do my best to help out with the earlier classes and get some teaching under my belt. It will be an exciting time for me in the fall!

And on a side note, I got my passport! And the best part is it only took 11 days to get to me. That's amazing considering some of the horror stories I've heard about wait times. My Mom's only took 9 days to get to her. That's even faster then the pamphlet in the passport package says it will take as a minimum (they say at least 10 days)! So I'm quite happy about that. Now I can travel freely any where my wallet and ambition will take me. First stop: San Diego! After that: Japan in the fall! And from there, well, we see when that time arrives. But I've heard rumors of a family trip to Europe.

Man will that ever be cool. Take care one and all!

2 comments:

Brian Guay said...

Glad to hear your test went so well!!

Good for you!

I'm working hard at getting a new Birth Cert. Passport may not happen this year. I hope that doesn't hurt us at the border.

Bri

Richard "Virge" Barkman said...

As long as you have a birth cert. and your driver's license you'll be fine. I just got my passport now because I have the time and will need it for the fall. To the best of my knowledge a passport is only needed for air travel into the States right now and you can still get in by ground without one.