Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Crazy things happen when women take notice.

I'm laughing right now. Very hard. And not because I read something funny, but instead because the funniest thing is happening right now to my best friend. You see, him and another friend both have blogs, both linked from this sight. And on their blogs they've both mentioned from time to time about the perils of dating and their frustration with the "game". One in particular finds the whole experience to be a great big headache, vowing instead to not bother getting into the game so he doesn't have to deal with the end results. It's a defeatist attitude, but it's something he strongly believes in so I don't push the issue more than I could. Now, I believe I have a reason.

Both my friends posted a quiz on their blogs with 56 questions in total. The same quiz can be found on this blog as well. My best friend answered in his typical fashion, with cynicism and pessimism, while my other friend seemed to take a more light-hearted approach and answered with humourous replies to many of the questions. But the end result was clear: they are down on their luck with love and frustrated by the opposite sex. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not thinking negatively about either person. They answered the questions no differently then I would have expected them to and both have their reasons for it. And I know there have been times when I've felt the same. But something happened I don't think either one of them expected to happen. Much to both their suprise, a real life, flesh and blood woman called them out. She questioned their responses and gave them something to consider. And she started it all with one reply.

She told my best friend that "both of them needed to be whomped upside the head". She said to him that in his post he doubted any girl had a crush on him, but that both he and my other friend probably get hit on all the time and just don't pick up on it. Granted, it might be subtle since girl comic geeks are often as shy and awkward as their male counterparts, but it does happen. She even told him that he was" Cute, funny and can cook Kraft Dinner, what more could a girl ask for? Start asking for phone numbers."

Now a typical response from most of us would be something like "Wow, if it was only that easy!" He wasn't sure how to respond.

But uhm, wait a second, did a girl just tell them to start asking for phone numbers? Did they get unsolicited advice from a.......girl? Holy shit, I guess they did!

Now here is where the fun starts. The questions began, and the wheels started turning. The search was on for "Miss Cellaneous". Even doubt set in and they wondered if she was real at all. But after a lengthy back-and-fourth "do I know you, have we met?" and "it's probably easy for you to give advice since if you are who I think you are you're married" reply-fest on the topic, it turns out all 3 of us have met the woman in question. She is very much real. And from what I remember (I'm the one with the good memory) she is also very nice, and very pretty. So's also NOT MARRIED. So you might be asking yourself, "What the blue hell is the point of this post then? You've only recapped events that are already documented so get to it!"

Here's my point. This girl went out of her way to point out to my friends that there are women out there who have the same doubts and insecurities that us male geeks do, but it doesn't have to be this way. Because for every girl out there who might snub you, ingnore you, or just flat out not give you the time of day, there is the "Miss Cellaneous" girls who won't. They see you. They find something in you that makes them smile, makes them feel good, and they spend time thinking about you just as much as you do about them. They exist, and now my friend has been given an opportunity for what I call self redemption. His life doesn't have to suck, and he doesn't have to be miserable and condemned to eternal loneliness. She is out there, she's real. Take the time to get out of your funk and make a change in your life for the better. Take a chance. It might end up leading to nothing but it's a start.

Now he might say "Well I don't see you doing anything to not be single!" and that's why I'm laughing. Because he may believe he's right, but he's not. In the past couple of days alone I've exchanged phone numbers, made plans for getting together with one of the girls I've met, and have made it a point to do something about my situation. I'm optomistic about things and I'm quite happy to give it a try. She has been on my mind constantly, and it's a good feeling. I have something to look forward to and I like the anticipation. Who knows, I might have met a girl I could end up very happy with, or at the very least I've made a new friend.

For me it's all about timing, always has been and always will be. Granted, he might say it's easier for me, but I say it's only easier because I let it be. And now it's his turn. The timing couldn't be better.

In the end Miss Cellaneous has given my best friend a reason try. I hope he's willing to finally do something.

11 comments:

Kevin Sole said...

I hope he's willing to finally do something.

Nope.

So, who's the girl? I mean, I have my guesses, but I'm not going to air them in case she has a blog and reads this or something.

For the record, I don't think my life sucks. I think the world sucks, and by extension, my life. But on average, it's decent. Great friends, really, makes it all.

How in the hell is the timing good for me?

I won't play games. Ever. It's draining, exhausting.

Kevin Sole said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Yeah, life sucks Kev, but surely you can carve out a niche of happiness.

And surely knowing me; you have no choice. Women play games. It makes us giggle. ^_^

Cool Rich, a date! With whooooo? can I meet her? Together we can plot both Kev and your own dooms. Mohoho!

Richard "Virge" Barkman said...

After telling me you want to plot my doom with my date, NO you can't meet her!!!! :P

Seriously though, it's only one date. If she still thinks I'm cool after that, then everyone can meet her.

Richard "Virge" Barkman said...

I missed the "footsies" and "hide the pickle" comments Brian. Too funny :D

And if I play any of those games it will not be mentioned on this site. I'm a gentleman after all!

Anonymous said...

Virge, you got it! But I don't think his life is meaningless without a woman--that's a bit dramatic. I just wanted to share with him that he had made an impression on me, that there could be someone out there with a crush on him. He seemed pleased, said "Wow, I remember you," and I actually thought he did. Ha--games. Anyway, it turns out he must have done hundreds of cat sketches that day since now the guys seem to think I'm some elf girl?? (I'm not married, but she might be.) If I was braver I'd share more, but a girl can only take so much rejection. I do think it's great that you're going to give dating another chance. As for me, I'm going to become a nun. And now for my vow of silence.

Kevin Sole said...

I wasn't playing a game. I was confused. I'm reasonably certain I still am, at that.

See? This is it.

I have a horrible memory, and I screw a lot of things up because of it. I don't remember you, that's completely my fault; not because you didn't make an impression.

The details blur together, I'm sorry!

I only did ONE drawing. She was persistant in getting me to do it. It was a MirrorMask cat. She told me she was going to get it framed. I remember thinking that the girl was very attractive.

But I remember the girl I drew the cat for, being there with two other people. I thought it was her Mom and Dad, but I'm not sure if that's who they were; and I remember them all laughing at the cat I drew and she mentioned a Husband in texas or something.

But I only drew one cat. So my memory is playing games with ME. Did I even MEET anyone that was married? I don't know.

But instead of trying to clarify things, instead of being honest with each other.. we hide behind secret identities, and both of us end up uncertain of what really happened the last couple of days, but certain that it could have or should have gone a different way.

And Nun's don't take a vow of silence.

Richard "Virge" Barkman said...

Don't become a nun! It's a very one-sided relationship :P

As for them thinking you're some "elf girl" I think it's just a phrase. I distinctly remember the girl Kevin drew a Cat for had glasses, a Superman/girl t-shirt, and was somewhat shy. If this is you, then cool. If not, then he drew more Cats that day that I don't know of. And then we're all going to go crazy wondering who you are!

So please don't start a vow of silence. I rather enjoy reading your responses.

Lalena said...

Ok ummm I seriously can't keep up anymore, what's going on?

Richard "Virge" Barkman said...

Well, it's pretty hard to sum everything up quickly, but here's the breakdown:
Boy meets girl at FCBD, draws girl a picture, girl likes something about boy, finds his blog, reads his blog, tells him that there may be someone out there who likes him and to not be so negative against the "dating game", boy loses mind trying to figure out who girl is do to horrible memory, thinks about her non-stop, they leave comments back and forth on 3 blogs, finally with the help of his friends boy convinces girl to e-mail him, and now we have a friendship in the making.

Or something like that:P

Kevin Sole said...

Strangers in Paradise?

Why? Is Miss Cellaneous interested in Dijita or something? LOL.

Good summary, Rich.