Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Happiness and frustration.

I'm going through a gambit of emotions this week. On one hand I'm quite happy. I received my belt promotion in Karate and was pleasently surprised to find out that my belt was something special. I won a regional prize this year for the Kick-a-thon fundraiser we had but assumed that I would be getting a track suit as my award. Instead, and much more to my liking, I received a personally embroidered belt, brought in from Japan, which has my name in Japanese on one end of the belt and Kyokushin Karate on the other. For me, this is something truly special.

Achieving 6th Kyu is somewhat of a milestone for me. I've trained Kyokushin for 6 years now, but not all of that was consecutive. I originally started training back in 1997, but in the fall/winter of 1999 I unfortunately had to quit. I was in school at the time, in debt, not working much and just couldn't afford to do it. The really difficult thing for me was that I had to stop before I reached the level I am now. I was 1 month away from being a 6th Kyu, which is a yellow belt in our style. I never made it. Almost 3 years would pass until I began to train again. You are allowed a 1 year period where if you do not train and come back you will be allowed to stay at your previous belt level. I had to begin again as a white belt, but I'm very glad I did. I've learned so much more in the past 3 years of training and I believe I'm much better for it. And this belt promotion means that much more. So this is my happiness for the week.

My frustration comes to me from the world of comics, and more specifically the people printing my comic and the folks who run the San Diego Comic Con. First up is my printer. The folks at Comixpress are great and delivered our last book (Fablequest) in time for our show in May. Their product is great and the price of printing can't be beat. But what is bothering me now is that I'm on a tight deadline with SDCC coming up in July and I need to know what's happening with The Sorrow. I'd like to take a few copies with me to show to publishers and friends, but I can't do that if they can't get me the books on time. The e-mail we received when we first sent off the files said that "on or before the 20th of June we would receive an e-mail to let us know the status of our book." Sounds good to me. Except the 20th was yesterday. It's now 9:30 pm on the 21st and I still don't know the status of my book. GRRRRRRRR!

And now onto the folks at SDCC. I sent them a package on the 23rd of May by Xpress Post with my form for Professional Status for this years convention, as well as a copy of Fablequest for verification. They had a deadline of June 6th for applications, so I assumed I sent off everything with plenty of time. I did the same thing last year and everything was good. This year they've updated the Comic-Con website with a list of professional who will be attending. I'm not on the list. So I've taken the steps needed to find out why. I've e-mailed them twice; no response. I've called them a couple of time at the number they gave me; I never get to talk to a real person and the mailbox for messages is always full. AHHHHHHHHH! I know this is an incredibly busy time for them and I truly understand that. But I'm travelling to San Diego from Calgary, Alberta, "CANADA". It's a long fucking trip! It would be nice to know what's going on. Did they even receive my package? Do they need more information? All it takes is a few minutes to type me an e-mail and let me know. Last year we found out at the convention that we had badges as they didn't update the site on time. But this year they did; so what's the deal folks? All I want is to know if I have a pass or not. I'll make other arrangements to get into the convention if I have to, but I need to know my status first.Very frustrating!

I'm very much a planner, especially when it comes to my comic activities. I want to know what's going on so I can make the appropriate plans. Not knowing and waiting really gets to me. Hopefully someone let's me know and soon. Until then I get to flip-flop between "Damn this belt is so cool!" and "Why the fuck won't anyone get back to me?". Bloody hell!

4 comments:

Lalena said...

That's awesome regarding your new belt. I'd love to see it, take a photo of it, will ya?

And I really want to see your comic when it gets printed (hopefully on time). Good luck with it, Rich!

By the way, can you go next door and punch your neighbour in the gut, just cause?

Richard "Virge" Barkman said...

I'll update later with a picture of the belt just for you D! And I have to work with Dwight today, so a punch to the gut is no problem!

Obsidian3D said...

Coolies on the belt, congratulations! Patience on the SDCC / comic stuff. Harder done than typed, but it'll all work out.

Kevin Sole said...

SNAKES ON A PLANE!





.. wait.. what the fuck are we talking about?


Oh yeah. PS, bitch: Paid for the print copy of The Sorrow. Should be on it's way.



... bitch.


:p